Friday, January 9, 2009

Now comes the hard part

My editor, Sasha Knight, requested that I do some pre-editing before we begin the 'real' edits in a week or two. For the last week I've been diligently going through my pages, scratching out and adding things with my blue pen, and seriously hoping I'm doing what she wants.

My book is mostly suspense with a tinge of a romance between the two main characters. A romance that my editor wants me to pump up...and I do agree with her there. I do. I think it would add more dimension to the two main characters and heighten the emotions even more that run through the book. But it sure ain't easy.

Now that I know this book is going to be published, I'm a much harsher critic of my writing. Each time I sit down to edit, I find myself critical of EVERYTHING on that page. Not just the romance part.

It's tough.

The good part about this, though, is that it does make me look at my work more closely. And whenever you start to seriously work on your own writing, improvements take hold. Ideas about how to make that next book better.

I can imagine when I get down to the 'real' editing that it will be even tougher. I want to make this book the absolute best it can be before it gets into the hands of the readers. So I'm willing to work hard at it.

I want to be finished with this pre-edit by Monday. That's my goal. I'm feeling okay about it right now. But when I take that stack of printed out papers and start to type up my changes, I'll let you know how that's going....

No comments:

Post a Comment