Tuesday, October 22, 2013

How to Achieve 'Top Tweet' Status

Since I have teenagers, I knew last week was the PSAT for juniors. This gave me an idea to tweet yesterday about my SAT vocab novel, BLOOD MOON. Here is what I tweeted:

Did your child wilt at the sight of the PSAT last week? BLOOD MOON - fun way to prep 4 the SATs:

I had used the #satprep hashtag before, thinking this would be a way to connect with kids or parents who are thinking about studying for the SATs. The #homeschool hashtag I've tried also, because I am hoping that some homeschooling types might think of my book as a tool for their child for non-traditional SAT study.

Typically, when I use a hashtag in one of my Twitter posts, I like to click on it to see what other kinds of tweets are using it, or if anyone is using it at all. That's when I noticed this:



Somehow my tweet was selected as the "Top Tweet" under the #satprep hashtag! 

I didn't know what that meant or how I was selected, so I did some research.


2) Up until April this year, Twitter used to support an account called @toptweets where my tweet would've appeared for all the world to see. 

3) Oddly enough, although the algorithm info I've found on Twitter's own website claims that "Top Tweets are Tweets that lots of people are interacting with and sharing via retweets, replies, and more," my tweet has had no RTs or replies from anyone other than myself. 

Right now, I'm just coasting on this additional bit of self-promotion. Not sure if my post will keep this 'top tweet' status for long or if this will produce any sales. I'll let you know what happens, if anything, in a future blog post. As of now, I see NO benefit to me at all!  No sales that I can see and no increase in twitter followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment