Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The debate about paranormal books



Hey, it's been way too long since I posted something here. But I read an interesting blog post today about paranormal books and what's missing out there for readers.

If you'd like to read up on it, here's a link to the Dear Author blog.

Paranormal books are 'hot' right now. But it sounds like some readers are getting sick of vampires, werewolves, and angels/demons. Hopefully, that means good things for my book, The Ninth Curse, which has nothing to do with any of these things. We shall see.

The funny thing is, the two paranormal suspense/romance books I've written in the last two years are completely separate from the trends. The Ninth Curse is about curses, obviously, and another book of mine, The Little Black Box, centers around a woman with telekinetic powers. (keep an eye on the blog for more on that book...)

Also, in the blog post, the writer asked for books to be written about other mythologies...like Egyptian or Asian. And what do you know? I've had an idea in my head for a few years with an Asian history behind it. 

I've been resisting writing that particular book because I feel I don't have the knowledge necessary to do it justice. I suppose I need to do more research, but I still worry I will not do a good job of it and will somehow end up insulting someone. I don't know any Asian languages. I visited Japan once many years ago. I don't have that comfort level I'd like to have with a topic before I start writing a story.

My response to the blog post was that I don't really 'get sick of' any particular type of book. I would read books about werewolves and not get sick of them as long as the characters were good and the plot intrigued me.

Anyway, it was an interesting discussion which hit on my genre, so I thought I'd put my thoughts down on virtual paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment