Monday, October 19, 2015

Margaret Atwood Short Story Contest

As I have mentioned in several blog posts, I started a Wattpad account about a year ago. I post some of my writing there, including the first draft of my newest book I'm working on. The fun thing about Wattpad is that there are various Wattpad-run accounts you can follow that have writing contests.

In the last 6 or 7 months, I've written several science fiction short stories, which were a ton of fun. One of them even won first place!

The talented Ms. Atwood
I also found out that one of my favorite authors, Margaret Atwood, had an account on Wattpad. Several months ago she posted a writing contest that I really wanted to participate in, but I had no time for the story.

About a month ago, I received notice of another contest Ms. Atwood was running on Wattpad...this time as part of a promotion for her latest book, The Heart Goes Last. Several chapters of the book were posted on Wattpad. A writer could choose from 3 secondary characters that were presented briefly in the posted chapters and write their back story.

It sounded like fun, so I made sure to set aside some time to read the posted chapters and write something. I decided not to put pressure on myself and just finish something to upload. I finished my entry today and you can read it here: My Contest Entry.

If you have some time, please read, comment or vote!

There will be 5 winners who will have their stories read aloud at a livestreamed book event in NYC on November 7-8, 2015. Winners will be announced by November 2nd.  The first place winner will receive a signed copy of The Heart Goes Last, an e-card from Margaret Atwood, and promotion of your story on Wattpad and Doubleday media platforms.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment