Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Wattpad Updates for May 2015

I haven't posted an update about my Wattpad writing lately, so I thought I'd revisit the topic today. I signed up for Wattpad last November hoping it would be a positive experience where I'd be encouraged to write more often and, perhaps, finish a new novel that I'd been toying around with for several years.

What I discovered is that there is a wonderful community of readers and writers out there that I'm just beginning to get to know. The other fantastic thing are the different groups that Wattpad has created to encourage more writing by hosting contests, providing story prompts and posting helpful articles about how to increase readership or be more involved on the site.


I ended up joining the Science Fiction group as well as the Romance and Fan Fiction groups. The Science Fiction group seems to be the best fit so far. They run some really great contests that have sparked my imagination more than once.

On my Wattpad page I have three short stories that were prompted by the Science Fiction group:

Torch - This was my first contest entry. The prompt was to write a short story based around the theme of 'Escape.' I won an honorable mention with my story.

Interruption - This story was entered in a contest that required you use the unfinished first line: "We landed on this pile of ice and dust expecting to find something that would advance our scientific knowledge, but what we actually found was..." . I also think it could only be so many words (super short).

Time Travel - I won first place with this short story based around this idea: A young inventor creates a matter-energy transporter which he plans to step into for the first time. It had a length restriction of exactly 100 sentences.

Clearly, I enjoy writing science fiction short stories. Which is so interesting to me because I never knew I had this in me. I am definitely a fan of science fiction, however. Ask my husband: I will watch any movie that has a science fiction plot. Even if it looks terrible. I was a Trekkie from my middle school years and avidly watched "The Next Generation" when it was on the air in the 80s/90s. I ate up the "Battlestar Galactica" reboot. And now I'm enjoying every minute of "The 100" on TV.

As a result of my success and enjoyment writing science fiction tales, I purchased a book on writing prompts from Amazon. That seems to really help me get my arms around a direction and focuses my creativity. If I have 'rules' I have to follow, my brain seems to like the restriction. My idea now is to write more short stories and then compile them into a single book I can offer up on Amazon.

There was even an article last year (and others) about how the short story is making a come back because of technology:

The Irresistible Rise of the Short Story

People have short attention spans nowadays, and many people do their reading on the go off of their phones and iPads. Short stories are more suited to this kind of reading style. I plan to continue responding to any prompts that spark my imagination on Wattpad's Science Fiction page and also use my new prompt book to find other ideas that get my creative juices flowing.

Please check out my short stories on Wattpad and vote or leave a comment. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment